Monday, June 13, 2011

Blog Post #2, Summary and Analysis

http://www.collegefashion.net/inspiration/fashion-inspiration-walt-disneys-cinderella/
 http://childcoloring.blogspot.com/2011/05/drawing-coloring-cinderella.html
If I am being completely honest with you and with my self I have to tell you that I have never read a book willing for my enjoyment. I know I had to read a few books in High School but I really have no idea what the books were as of today. So I went ahead and used Cinderella as my image examples because everyone can relate to her story. I chose this black and white illustration of Cinderella to show an example of a summary. By looking at this photo you can get the point that it is very bland and you can see the definition of her job. I picked the illustration of Cinderella in color to resemble analysis. By this photo you can be much more descriptive and choose certain areas to talk about instead of your subject being just black and white you can have a lot of gray areas in between to relate to.

 Summary versus Analysis
Do you remember when you were in elementary or middle school when you had to do all of those book reports? It seems like that is all our teachers wanted us to do, was to summarize current events or to write book reports. I was taught  that when you summarize you are suppose to give a description of the arrangements of the actions in the order in which the actual events had appeared in the story such as begging middle and ending. We were supposed to be very descriptive and informative about what was going. So that if the reader had never read the book or current event we were talking about, that they would be  able to get a good grasp of what was going on. Sounds simple enough but really it was kind of boring. I have recently been taught that there is more to writing than just a summary. To summarize may be to explain to the reader about what is happening but really we should try to analysis what is going on for the reader.
To analysis a book or a current event we should be able to explain to the reader what events and why they are happening throughout our report. An analysis is a form of literary criticism in which that a structure of writing is analyzed. Like Mrs. Cline said we need to” take something apart into pieces and then examine the elements”. When you’re analyzing a text you should be able to have an argument for a particular interpretation of the text so that the reader can relate to it and maybe be able to argue your point of view from there’s.
Here is a link that may help you with Analysis.http://utminers.utep.edu/omwilliamson/engl0310/analysis1.htm

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for replying on my blog! It makes it easier to reply to eachother's :) I like the visual summary v. analysis part with the photographs. The black and white one was very good because her life as a slave definitely didn't have anything colorful about it. Cinderella turning into a princess picture was great also, because her life has been transformed, which is shown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hey Shelly, wow, I liked the way you used the pictures of Cinderella to explain a bit of the differences between summary and analysis. I also enjoyed how you related the pictures with the text; I found that to be a very unique and intelligent way of illustrating your thoughts. In addition, I concede with your thoughts of what an analysis paper should consist of because if one does not have an argument or something to stand for, then the paper will not stand strong. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there,

    Nice blog post! I found it to be very helpful to understand more about what a analysis really is. I like your example of cinderella, and the two different pics of her. They make a lot of sense. :)

    ReplyDelete